1978 HD LIVE!!!

TopicsAll ForumsVan HalenOnline Videos1978 HD LIVE!!!

This topic has 34 voices, contains 122 replies, and was last updated by  single-8 3590 days ago.

March 30, 2014 at 6:12 pm Quote #34500

thismusicsux
(578)

I’m guessing the audio is synced from audio boot? But sounds even better so not sure

March 31, 2014 at 8:11 am Quote #34511

VOODOO
(2374)

I’m not positive which specific camera was used and we can only go by the story we got from DJ about the camera being hidden in a wheelchair to get it into the building, but I don’t believe those old 8mm cameras recorded audio to the film. It would have been a separate audio source that would be synched later. This is obviously a very clean audio source.

March 31, 2014 at 8:41 am Quote #34512

evhua
(1610)

awesome ! awesome ! awesome ! … really incredible !!! thanks for posting… hope to have a full show on dvd soon.. :-)

April 2, 2014 at 5:21 pm Quote #34562

VOODOO
(2374)

Interesting.

April 2, 2014 at 8:40 pm Quote #34565

radikal
(3892)

LOL….Check the date!!!! April 1st dude lol
Big doubt those reels aren’t reel…. no pun intended!! Ha!Ha!
Show me some footage like VH 78 then I believe :-)

April 2, 2014 at 9:14 pm Quote #34569

VOODOO
(2374)

radikal: LOL….Check the date!!!!April 1st dudelol Big doubt those reels aren’t reel…. no pun intended!!Ha!Ha! Show me some footage like VH 78 then I believe :-)

We’ll see I guess. I don’t care either way. I just want to see the VH footage out there! DJ supposedly had a rather extensive collection of shows. Who knows?!

April 3, 2014 at 1:46 am Quote #34574

oryo
(7703)

Here is the stuff I remember when I was dealing with DJ (If that was his real name?) when he 1st appeared with his clips on YouTube and we managed to talk him into joining VHT:
He was willing to share the VH footage with us but I know personally I sent a boat load of boots to show him the stuff that was done by members here and this site isn’t trying to profit from the stuff we offer here.
He was/is a really nice guy and shared some stuff with me including the DLR Fresno ’86 complete show on audio that we shared here but he asked me NOT to share with any other torrent sites. Other then himself, I was the only one who had the full show on CD and I held on to it until he told me it was ok to share it here.
DJ told us that the original footage was lost in a house fire but only had the original tape that he filmed with video camera off the wall with audio playing in background. Once this happen they had the fire and lost the original 8 reel.
Randy (Guitard) and myself kept in touch with him and Randy offered to help him with the footage to get a cleaner version with better audio. DJ didn’t want send his video copy just in case it got lost or something happened to that tape. Randy offered to personally buy him the proper software, cables, and gear and send it to DJ so he could do it himself with Randy explaining to him how to do it.
Once the word got out that he was showcasing his cleaner footage they did an article on him on VHND or some other site (Sorry, I can’t remember the site) and he was on cloud 9 because of the exposure. I guess in his eyes this was the Holy Grail and with everybody excited and an article written about him and footage.
I personally believe:
A) Once word got around he was hoping VH would come around or somebody would buy the footage for his huge payday.
B) With all the hype and interest in the footage, he freaked out that VH or somebody would take his footage.
He told me he was being forced to move from his home because of family matters (I won’t say the reason) and he would keep in touch with me once things settled down. I guess he told me all this because I had his actual home address and probably severe ties with the spotlight on his footage.
Too be honest I did believe his story that the actual footage was lost in the fire and his entire story about him moving away.
Now looking back at it all knowing its him posting all these new HD footage that maybe it was all a lie?? All the footage in HD on the YouTube page are all the footage he filmed. Too be honest I really don’t care if he does or doesn’t release the footage.
Once he vanished I know for a fact he was selling copies afterwards of his old cleaned up footage to people which the audio speed was not to speed and out of synce when he first posted the footage years ago. I figure the only rea$on he’$ doing the$e tea$ers video’$ in HD and po$ting them on YouTube is $o he can $how the world what he ha$ to $hare.
If he does or doesn’t decide to release them doesn’t matter to me anymore. It’s still going to be the same 25 minute footage I have seen for years and years and just because it’s a little cleaner is still the same old video.
Just my 2 cents.

April 3, 2014 at 7:13 am Quote #34577

Decatone
(1438)

With you all the way Ory.

It would be great to have a cleaner version of the footage that’s already out there and I for one would chip in if the original filmer/owner/whatever wanted cash, but everything has a limit and this place plus a couple of other VH sites is probably the only places to offer this sort of thing to anyway.
People outside the hard core fans of vh will only except proshot full shows now anyway, (my old band mates (and the wife) can’t get their heads round the fact that I’ll sit and watch shaky blurred footage LOL). So let’s hope DJ or who ever has this posts a bit more information than what’s posted on the net already.

April 3, 2014 at 7:17 am Quote #34578

frankm
(4888)

Decatone: With you all the way Ory.

Agree completely

April 3, 2014 at 9:17 am Quote #34581

ron
(11509)

April 3, 2014 at 12:47 pm Quote #34585

ffoner
(1085)

Great post Oryo.

A couple of things to add – back in the late 80s a friend of mine, who had taped a number of Roth-era shows, connected with DJ through trading audio tapes. He got the clean, 1 gen copies of DJ’s audio recordings (Fresno 78 and 79, and Oklahoma City 78) that we all now have in our collections in digital form.

Interestingly, DJ mailed his rig to a friend in Oklahoma who recorded the show. One interesting thing – DJ told my friend that most, if not all of the copies of the Fresno 78-79 shows he’d traded were not complete, and he even went so far as to give the OKC show a fake date – 7/15/78 (the real date is 8/6/78).

April 3, 2014 at 2:11 pm Quote #34589

thismusicsux
(578)

fascinating info about this old footage from Oryo. I think these rival Oakland 81 for holy grail status. ha.
This comment several months ago alluding to DJ passing sounds legit but who knows, maybe just more bad info to keep him in hiding.
* http://www.vhnd.com/2010/04/09/video-van-halen-unleashed-in-fresno-1978/#comment-883029064

If it is true… maybe this new guy acquired all his old Fresno reels???

And I’m kinda on Oryo’s thought. While it’s beyond mind-blowing to see this stuff in amazing quality…the mystery is frustrating and kinda kills the excitement for it. Knowing we may never get access to it and in the end it’s still the same incomplete footage we’ve seen…. but I’m just whining…this transfer is AMAZING.

Still I’m sure us diehards would put in some $$ to acquire a copy and share.
Could there be 100 people that would kick in which could amount to a few grand? maybe.

April 3, 2014 at 2:45 pm Quote #34591

guitard
(7354)

thismusicsux: Still I’m sure us diehards would put in some $$ to acquire a copy and share. Could there be 100 people that would kick in which could amount to a few grand?maybe.

Either he’s going to sell it … or he isn’t going to sell it. If he does sell it – once he releases it – it’s out – and it’s out forever. Personally, I’m willing to let others buy it first. The good thing about digital video is that sloppy seconds is just as good as being the first guy in the door.

April 3, 2014 at 2:49 pm Quote #34592

redozzman
(48)

ffoner: Great post Oryo.
A couple of things to add – back in the late 80s a friend of mine, who had taped a number of Roth-era shows, connected with DJ through trading audio tapes. He got the clean, 1 gen copies of DJ’s audio recordings (Fresno 78 and 79, and Oklahoma City 78) that we all now have in our collections in digital form.
Interestingly, DJ mailed his rig to a friend in Oklahoma who recorded the show. One interesting thing – DJ told my friend that most, if not all of the copies of the Fresno 78-79 shows he’d traded were not complete, and he even went so far as to give the OKC show a fake date – 7/15/78 (the real date is 8/6/78).

I have the 78,79 fresno audio but what I’m hearing synched with the new HD captures sounds much better? Perhaps DJ was a middle man and was outed by the true owner or he sold them to someone for a nice sum of cash and slipped off? I would love to have a copy and as I said in another thread I would be happy to pitch in on a group purchase! I think this footage is better than Oakland!

April 3, 2014 at 2:58 pm Quote #34594

redozzman
(48)

oryo: If he does or doesn’t decide to release them doesn’t matter to me anymore. It’s still going to be the same 25 minute footage I have seen for years and years and just because it’s a little cleaner is still the same old video. Just my 2 cents.

I little cleaner? Some of this footage looks as good as or better than Oakland 81. I wish you could have made it happen with DJ or whoever had the footage I’m sure it would have been a KILLER!!!!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.