2015-07-07 Amphitheater Northwest, Portland, OR

TopicsAll ForumsVan Halen2015 Tour2015-07-07 Amphitheater Northwest, Portland, OR

This topic has 16 voices, contains 36 replies, and was last updated by  PT5150 3184 days ago.

July 8, 2015 at 6:28 am Quote #46691

Dutchie
(1767)

Best photo of the tour so far….

https://instagram.com/p/43R_m4NUCQ/

Thank you MVH

July 8, 2015 at 6:32 am Quote #46692

mjk2112
(335)

EVH Solo

Women in Love

boldly going nowhere

July 8, 2015 at 6:50 am Quote #46694

PT5150
(6280)

ED’s SOLO is unbelievable…

Could the riff from 7:18 -7:30 turn into a NEW VH song…..?

Also love from 7:30 -8:00 were he holds that heavy ball busting feedback note… :mrgreen: 8-O

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

July 8, 2015 at 3:18 pm Quote #46742

VAiN
(2777)

Gilligan: Awesome show! I’d say the crowd was big, yes. The covered part was full and there were lots of folks in the grass – everybody was way into it too. They have a cool Hawaiian themed 2015 tour shirt but I didn’t get it. I’ll wait until the end of the tour and get it online for less… For me this was the best show from the last 3 tours. Band was loud and tight, Eddie played great and Dave brought his A game. I had a lot of fun and enjoyed Dave’s schtick immensely. He seemed to sing more than usual too! IASR was a little rough and Dave had them turn off the smoke machine during DTNA, but everything else was excellent – especially Ed’s solo.

Oh, and I loved the high-speed Hot for Teacher!! It’s Ass-kicking!!!

Sounds good! I just watched a few clips from the show and Dave sounds a little better than the first night.. Here’s hoping he settles in.

Resident dickhead. I will hurt your delicate feelings.

July 8, 2015 at 4:07 pm Quote #46744

PT5150
(6280)

Drop Dead Legs
http://youtu.be/fnYyJIPlCL4
Little Guitars
http://youtu.be/VpIMmtFoZ2E
Panama
http://youtu.be/xwNPrSivKwI
Unchained
http://youtu.be/1U7FWmO7g_c

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

July 8, 2015 at 4:12 pm Quote #46745

VOODOO
(2374)

Holy shit, Ed butchered that DDL intro…yikes.

July 8, 2015 at 8:20 pm Quote #46752

mjk2112
(335)

what is the screen behind them even doing? is it low resolution or what??? :-? even the simulated fire behind alex after the drum solo was very mindcraft…?

boldly going nowhere

July 8, 2015 at 8:42 pm Quote #46753

PT5150
(6280)

mjk2112: what is the screen behind them even doing? is it low resolution or what??? :-? even the simulated fire behind alex after the drum solo was very mindcraft…?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
Do they show anything on it?
Looks like there is video screens up high either side of the stage.
Do VH have their own camera guys in the pits on this tour??

July 8, 2015 at 9:17 pm Quote #46754

ron
(11464)

PT5150: Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Do they show anything on it? Looks like there is video screens up high either side of the stage. Do VH have their own camera guys in the pits on this tour??

The “screen” behind Alex shows some lines and patterns, etc… Nothing interesting IMO.

At Seattle, my impression of the video guys in the pit (there were two) is that they were local for the venue and provided the video for the screens off to the side. Some sheds have screens, some don’t.

July 8, 2015 at 10:28 pm Quote #46758

mrmojohalen
(6377)

PT5150: ED’s SOLO is unbelievable…

Could the riff from 7:18 -7:30 turn into a NEW VH song…..?

Also love from 7:30 -8:00 were he holds that heavy ball busting feedback note… :mrgreen: 8-O

I haven’t seen Ed that in the zone in awhile. His feet tapping, clearly feeling the moment. 8-O 8)

When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

July 9, 2015 at 12:03 am Quote #46759

jroundy
(1418)

voodoo: Holy shit, Ed butchered that DDL intro…yikes.

I couldn’t tell if it was Ed or Alex…. I think maybe Alex may have made the mistake. He is only human or is he?

The poor folks play for keeps down here…They’re the living dead. Nobody rules these streets at night like Van Halen!!

July 9, 2015 at 1:40 am Quote #46765

PT5150
(6280)

jroundy: I couldn’t tell if it was Ed or Alex…. I think maybe Alex may have made the mistake.He is only human or is he?

Its funny we are thinking it matters they made a little mistake but if any of us could play any near their level I’d be very suprised.

July 9, 2015 at 2:04 am Quote #46767

omahaswine
(79)

ron: The “screen” behind Alex shows some lines and patterns, etc…Nothing interesting IMO.
At Seattle, my impression of the video guys in the pit (there were two) is that they were local for the venue and provided the video for the screens off to the side.Some sheds have screens, some don’t.

Hopefully VH will bring their own screens (on the side) to the sheds that don’t. Last time I was in KC, the venue didn’t have any but that was several years ago. I only film the screen as a last resort though.

July 9, 2015 at 3:53 am Quote #46770

Gilligan
(1518)

Whew, just made it back home… still buzzing from the big show! A few more points of interest:

The lo-res screen behind Alex is completely forgettable.
The KWS Band started early (7:15 when tickets said show started at 7:30) and he was smoking’. The crowd that had settled in by that point was really into it and Kenny blew the doors off the place. He got a deservedly huge ovation at the end (after Voodoo Chile).
The tapers and filmers might be interested to know that Van Halen came out to no introduction in the middle of a Tina Turner song. They just kinda walked out, the music faded and they launched into it.
Dave was giddy all evening, almost hyper, and very enjoyable. His gut tattoos were on display for a majority of the show as he wore unbuttoned shirts most of the time. He’s still in amazing shape although he only did one or two high kicks. My family and I laughed out loud several times due to his banter and antics.
As awesome as it was for me to hear IASR and Dirty Movies, people were flooding to the beer stands and bathrooms during these songs. I think my whole row left at this time and there were probably 30 seats!
Dave made a big deal about a fist bump he did with Eddie.
I personally didn’t think LUTS was the best song to open with – you can’t beat Unchained, and when Unchained came around it seemed out of place to me. However, for LUTS I felt like Dave and Eddie were really reading off each other to make sure they played it right, so that was cool!
Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point is it was a great show and I don’t think anyone here will be disappointed when they come to your neighborhood!
Whoooo!

July 9, 2015 at 5:26 am Quote #46771

Gilligan
(1518)

Here’s a review. July 7, 2015 Review

When Van Halen, whose founding members are all past the age of 60, appeared on Jimmy Kimmel in late March to announce a new live album and summer tour, it looked as if the best days of the band had long passed.

Lead singer David Lee Roth hit himself in the face while twirling the microphone stand, which led to him needing bandages and attempting the song a second time, while missing enough notes to upset even the most patient fans. In addition, Billboard Magazine reported some tension in Roth and Eddie Van Halen’s relationship days before the tour began.

The stage was set for a potentially tumultuous tour before a single note had been played.

All these worries were quickly abandoned as soon as “Light Up The Sky” kick-started the show at Amphitheater Northwest in Ridgefield, Washington on Tuesday night.

The second stop on the 41-date tour found the band in top form with the instrumentation of the three Van Halens, Eddie (guitar), Alex (drums) and Eddie’s son — Wolfgang (bass) — for the entire duration of the two-hour show.

“Runnin’ With The Devil” followed, and though it was clear that Roth’s squealing vocals had deteriorated, the long golden locks of blonde hair have turned to a bald spot and the high flying gymnast kicks that once propelled Van Halen in the early days have become stationary kicks, he still knows how to front a band convincingly.

Instead of attempting to hit every high note, he stretched out the words or let the audience sing. It sounds like cheating, but it was an effective way to cover his voice’s shortcomings.

The set emphasized the band’s 1978 debut album, “Van Halen II,” as well as “1984”. Standouts included Alex Van Halen’s drum solo, “Dance The Night Away” and “Somebody Get Me A Doctor.”

During “Hot For Teacher,” Roth’s stage performance seemed to find another gear as he rediscovered his voice and swagger, matching the rest of the band in the high-quality performance. Every song after “Teacher” had increased energy, including the rarity ‘“Dirty Movies”’ from the album “Fair Warning,” the classic “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” and The Kinks’ “You Really Got Me.”

Roth sat alone on stage with an acoustic guitar propped on his lap and a harmonica to sing “Ice Cream Man.”

Interjections about the U.S. Women’s World Cup Soccer team’s victory paved the way for a surprisingly eloquent speech about women’s rights and how the team broke down gender barriers. In honor of the two years he has lived in Japan, Roth translated each verse into Japanese in hopes that the Japanese team, and the country as a whole, will one day have as much freedom as the women of America.

He also promised to eat ice cream after the show.

“Eruption” solidified Eddie Van Halen’s status as a guitar god. The extended, blistering guitar solo let Van Halen boast his unmatched skills and knowledge of every possible sound a guitar can make. The solo showcased his speed, his signature gut-wrenching shrieks, masterful use of feedback and his ability to make music by tapping the back of the fretboard.

As expected, the final two songs were “1984’s” highlights — “Panama” and “Jump.” With everyone in the crowd singing along and the young-at-heart actually jumping along to “Jump,” the night came to a close in a show that far exceeded all expectations.

The largest demographic in the not-quite sold-out audience was middle-aged men, but a surprisingly wide range of ages was present. Kids who were dragged to the concert by their parents slowly conceded that they were having a good time.

By the end, the majority of the kids who clearly felt they were too cool to attend found hope that maybe, just maybe, their parents may actually have been cool in the ‘80s.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.