2015-07-14 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, CA

TopicsAll ForumsVan Halen2015 Tour2015-07-14 Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Irvine, CA

This topic has 11 voices, contains 23 replies, and was last updated by  ModelCitizen 3167 days ago.

July 18, 2015 at 10:17 pm Quote #47243

ModelCitizen
(333)

Red Rocks and the Hollywood Bowl shows are a must.

…Zero Discipline

July 18, 2015 at 10:46 pm Quote #47245

mcs5150
(1096)

guitard: People who tape audio know that the quality of the mics, the way the mics are deployed, location of the taper, format of the recording, etc., etc. are all important factors in getting a nice recording – and the quality of audio from a bunch of random clips recorded with iPhones and point-and-shoot cameras is so far removed from the quality you get with a traditional style audio recording that you can’t even begin to compare them.

That isn’t to say you’re wrong though.If old-school tapers think that people are no longer interested in their recordings because they are, as you say, available on Youtube, then that might be a reason for not recording.But most audio tapers do it first and foremost for their own enjoyment, so I kind of doubt that’s what’s happening.

I was not comparing what is available on youtube and the majority of boots.

A number of boots on the early shows of this tour may well surface, but I remember at the start of the 2012 tour we were getting the shows up on DIME the next day (audio) and there were often multiple sources.

July 19, 2015 at 12:56 am Quote #47260

jroundy
(1418)

Could outdoor venues make any difference to people who record audio bootlegs?

The poor folks play for keeps down here…They’re the living dead. Nobody rules these streets at night like Van Halen!!

July 19, 2015 at 3:31 am Quote #47261

omahaswine
(79)

jroundy: Could outdoor venues make any difference to people who record audio bootlegs?

In my opinion the outdoor venues are a huge factor, at least for video. If you are in the seats, everyone stands up. If you are on the lawn, you better be front row. I just hate filming outdoors. I used to do audio at the sheds but always got chatter/clapping, etc. Finally audio just didn’t do it for me so I switched to video. Too bad there are no arena gigs. I’d fly out to get one of them.

July 19, 2015 at 10:08 am Quote #47267

steecoe
(1983)

jroundy: Could outdoor venues make any difference to people who record audio bootlegs?

It does for me. I love recording audio in the sheds, the sound is so much better. I am going to my 2 favorites, Blossom & Noblesville & hopefully I can snag at least one decent recording between those two & the other two shows I’m going to this tour.

July 19, 2015 at 11:47 am Quote #47269

guitard
(7354)

Same for me – with the caveat: as long as it isn’t windy. The nice thing is you don’t have cement and metal structures forcing sound to be contained inside of a confined space (which causes a lot of ill effects). But just like real estate, it’s mostly about location, location, location.

July 19, 2015 at 2:39 pm Quote #47271

omahaswine
(79)

Yes, wind is definitely a factor. That’s why I have “ear muffs” for the mics. It helps a little.

July 28, 2015 at 8:37 am Quote #47687

ron
(11464)

July 28, 2015 at 9:38 am Quote #47691

ModelCitizen
(333)

ron:

Boy, Dave really went “All In” on the tats.

…Zero Discipline

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.