2015-09-21 Austin360 Amphitheater, Austin, TX

TopicsAll ForumsVan Halen2015 Tour2015-09-21 Austin360 Amphitheater, Austin, TX

This topic has 6 voices, contains 12 replies, and was last updated by  mrmojohalen 3136 days ago.

September 13, 2015 at 10:43 pm Quote #49362

mrmojohalen
(6389)

Coming to Austin !

When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

September 14, 2015 at 12:52 pm Quote #49367

rockphantom
(169)

I’ll be there and taping audio if all goes well.

I plan to use my Church Audio CAFS (tiny stealth omni mics), Ugly 2 pre-amp, and my PCM-M10.
I have a good feeling about this show!

September 14, 2015 at 4:29 pm Quote #49382

guitard
(7354)

rockphantom: I plan to use my Church Audio CAFS (tiny stealth omni mics)

Unless you’re going to be pretty close to the speakers, I’d opt for cardiod mics. I realize that might not be an option for you though. When I ordered my CA-11s from Chris Church, he had a deal going where he’d throw in a set of cardiod caps for free, so I have both.

September 16, 2015 at 1:10 pm Quote #49471

rockphantom
(169)

guitard: Unless you’re going to be pretty close to the speakers, I’d opt for cardiod mics.I realize that might not be an option for you though.When I ordered my CA-11s from Chris Church, he had a deal going where he’d throw in a set of cardiod caps for free, so I have both.

I have a set of CA-14 cardoids.
However, they are bulky and easy to spot from a distance.

I thought omnidirectional mics were optimal for outdoor taping?

I’ll be in the fourth row on the floor to the far left of Wolf’s side.
Wouldn’t this be close enough to get a good omni capture?

I’ll consider using the CA-14 cards.
I *DO* love the sound quality they produce.
The main issue is my lack of stealth experience.

I am planning to wear a safari hat.
Perhaps, the CA-14s could blend in with the hat after I equip the “dead rats” furry windscreens.
http://church-audio.com/viewitem.php?productid=15

Any guidance would be appreciated.
I do plan to share my recording with the world, and would like to produce a master of the highest quality.

Thank You!

September 16, 2015 at 1:18 pm Quote #49472

rockphantom
(169)

I should mention that all of the remaining $450-$750 VIP tickets were dumped into the general ticket pool yesterday and can now be had for $166 each.
http://www.ticketmaster.com/van-halen-austin-texas-09-21-2015/event/3A004D92367361F9?tm_link=edp_onsale

September 22, 2015 at 10:42 am Quote #49653

rockphantom
(169)

Listening to initial playback of my Van Halen recording. Thankfully, it is not a bass sandwich!! Taking a chance with my non-stealthy, easy to spot, Church Audio CA-14 cardoid mics really paid off! I’ve used the CA-14 cards to tape local bands several times and have always been impressed with the quality of the capture. I’ll make the CA-14 cards, my “go-to” mics from here on out.
Does anyone have any advice on properly mastering a VH recording?

Thank you Randy, for encouraging me to use my CA-14 cards! I was able to tape in plain sight, and was given no grief.
Even when I got busted for seat hopping, the usher saw my full rig and didn’t say a word.

September 22, 2015 at 10:53 am Quote #49655

mjk2112
(335)

rockphantom: Listening to initial playback of my Van Halen recording. Thankfully, it is not a bass sandwich!! Taking a chance with my non-stealthy, easy to spot, Church Audio CA-14 cardoid mics really paid off! I’ve used the CA-14 cards to tape local bands several times and have always been impressed with the quality of the capture. I’ll make the CA-14 cards, my “go-to” mics from here on out. Does anyone have any advice on properly mastering a VH recording?

Thank you Randy, for encouraging me to use my CA-14 cards! I was able to tape in plain sight, and was given no grief. Even when I got busted for seat hopping, the usher saw my full rig and didn’t say a word.

looks nice!!!

boldly going nowhere

September 22, 2015 at 2:33 pm Quote #49658

rockphantom
(169)

Currently tracking the raw 24/96 recording in Audacity.
Sound quality is very good although the sound man adjusted levels during the quieter songs.
For example Little Guitars sounds noticeably weaker than the rest of the set.

My new trading buddy techtuts is currently remastering the raw Austin recording.
He does stellar work. Once he sends me the finished product, I’ll share it on DIME and TTD.

September 22, 2015 at 10:23 pm Quote #49679

mrmojohalen
(6389)

September 23, 2015 at 7:09 am Quote #49686

rockphantom
(169)

If anyone is interested in creating artwork for the upcoming release of the Austin recording here are some details I’d like to share.
I will torrent the 9/21/15 recording this weekend if all goes as planned.
Thank You!

Title: Happy 100th Birthday, Mother Van Halen!

Setlist:

[01] Light Up the Sky
[02] Runnin’ With the Devil
[03] Romeo Delight
[04] Everybody Wants Some!!
[05] Drop Dead Legs
[06] Feel Your Love Tonight
[07] Somebody Get Me a Doctor
[08] She’s the Woman
[09] I’ll Wait
[10] Drum Solo
[11] Little Guitars
[12] Dance the Night Away
[13] Beautiful Girls
[14] Women in Love
[15] Hot for Teacher
[16] In a Simple Rhyme – Growth
[17] “Dirty Movies”
[18] Ice Cream Man
[19] Unchained
[20] Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love
[21] Guitar Solo (Little Guitars intro, Spanish Fly, Cathedral, Mean Street intro, Eruption, and Happy Birthday)
[22] You Really Got Me
[23] Panama
[24] Jump

September 23, 2015 at 7:28 am Quote #49687

PT5150
(6281)

mrmojohalen:

Love the bit in Ed’s solo playing Happy Birthday to his Mum…
Around 8:05 mark… :wink:

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

September 23, 2015 at 9:33 am Quote #49691

sickman
(2380)

The Happy Birthday song just became free for performers to sing.

September 23, 2015 at 7:50 pm Quote #49703

mrmojohalen
(6389)

http://music.blog.austin360.com/2015/09/22/van-halen-entertains-with-roth-back-at-center-stage/

Van Halen entertains with Roth back at center stage

By David Glessner
Special to Austin360/American-Statesman

The not-so-quiet debate surrounding Van Halen’s current tour isn’t whether or not 60-year-old David Lee Roth can still sing (technically, he never could), but rather if he’ll remember the lyrics, sing them in tune and otherwise bother to stay faithful to the songs. On Monday at the Austin360 Amphitheater, the answer was a resounding “more or less.”

Opening with 1979’s “Light Up the Sky,” the band’s namesake guitar wizard Eddie Van Halen, his brother/drummer Alex Van Halen and son/bassist Wolfgang Van Halen hit the ground running with turbocharged precision. Never to be outshone, Roth and his permanently plastered creepy clown smile slid across the powder-dusted stage like some herky-jerky marionette channeling James Brown, Liberace and Popeye. In other words, he’s still Mardi Gras and Fourth of July in a pair of impossibly tight pants (and the proverbial lampshade).

With Roth returning as ringleader, hardcore fans were guaranteed an exclusive set of vintage songs predating his 1985 replacement Sammy Hagar and that other dude from Extreme. In that regard, Monday was a deck of aces as Van Halen uncorked such keg-party staples as “Runnin’ With the Devil,” “Dance the Night Away,” “Hot for Teacher” and “Ain’t Talkin’ ’Bout Love.” Deep cuts included “Romeo Delight,” “Drop Dead Legs,” “In a Simple Rhyme” and “Dirty Movies.”

By Van Halen standards, the stage production was fairly over-the-counter. Sure, there was the usual NASA-style drum kit, stacks of speakers and flashy back lights, but the presentation was mostly about the music, which was largely uninterrupted by Roth’s (in)famous slapstick banter.

It was also about THAT guitar. Long regarded as one of the greatest guitarists in the world, Eddie Van Halen remains a case study in how’d-he-do-that? Between backhanded wipes of his brow, the sweat-drenched guitar hero wowed the audience with his trademark finger tapping, dizzying fretboard speed and the boyish grin that seems to have regained some glow.

Alex Van Halen’s seemingly obligatory drum solo was impressive enough (and mercifully condensed), and Wolfgang proved to be more than competent handling the chores of ousted bassist Michael Anthony. But alas, it was the Dave-n-Eddie show as Van Halen rolled through “Beautiful Girls,” “Women in Love” and “Ice Cream Man.”

As always, Eddie’s solos stole the show. Grinning ear-to-ear and coaxing applause with his two thumbs-up, the maestro unleashed an electrical storm of squeals, harmonics, speed-picking and ever more fretboard tapping that shrieked to an ear-piercing climax with his 1978 game-changing “Eruption.” Whew!

In the end, Roth went monotone during “Unchained” and “I’ll Wait,” and finally lost the script during “You Really Got Me” and “Panama.” None of that seemed to matter, however, as the crowd went gonzo for his samurai-style mic stand twirls during the closing rush of “Jump.”

Was Roth perfect? Gimme a break! Was Van Halen fun? Absolutely.

It ain’t easy being a guitar hero when Eddie Van Halen’s backstage, but Kenny Wayne Shepherd held his own as the evening’s opening act. Decidedly more bluesy and soulful than Van Halen, the Shreveport native makes no bones about his worship of Stevie Ray Vaughan. How fitting, then, that his drummer is former Vaughan timekeeper and Austin resident Chris “Whipper” Layton, who got a hero’s welcome from the hometown crowd. Another Austin connection, keyboardist Riley Osbourn, spent time in Willie Nelson’s band, and bassist Tony Franklin once played alongside Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers in The Firm. Add the soulful vocals of Noah Hunt on top of string-bending songs like “Blue on Black” and SRV’s “Come On,” and it’s hard to go wrong in Austin.

Van Halen set list:

Light Up the Sky
Runnin’ With the Devil
Romeo Delight
Everybody Wants Some!!
Drop Dead Legs
Feel Your Love Tonight
Somebody Get Me a Doctor
She’s the Woman
I’ll Wait
Little Guitars
Dance the Night Away
Beautiful Girls
Women in Love
Hot for Teacher
In a Simple Rhyme
Dirty Movies
Ice Cream Man
Unchained
Ain’t Talkin’ ’Bout Love
You Really Got Me
Panama
Jump

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.