2013-04-20 Sydney

TopicsAll ForumsVan Halen2013 Tour2013-04-20 Sydney

This topic has 28 voices, contains 166 replies, and was last updated by  VOODOO 1422 days ago.

April 21, 2013 at 7:08 pm Quote #24470

PT5150
(6281)

Lance: Aerosmith looked pretty good…

Aerosmith were good..
People saying they had backing vocals..They had a keyboard player hidden behind amps do most of back up vocals. Also their stage production was bigger as they are doing about 8 shows in Australia.

VH were great, Dave’s voice awesome, they sounded great where we were in front of Ed 15 people back from stage. Wolf’s bass was a fraction high but he sounded great.

Hope they come back after next album and do their own Australian Tour in the next few years.

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

April 21, 2013 at 11:01 pm Quote #24474

jabbo5150
(337)

wjamflan: Sorry Vain. Dave sounds just like he did in 2012 – awful. Embarassingly awful. His voice was on the decline in 2007, but not anywhere near as bad as it is now. I don’t think it was/is sickness. I think his voice is just gone from abuse over the years. It lasted longer than Robert Plant’s did – for what it’s worth – but it’s gone. Now he has to figure out how to make it sound ok with what he’s working with, like Plant eventually did. He can’t keep going this way b/c it is painful to hear.

As far as Aerosmith goes, I wasn’t defending the last 20 years of music. I was just pointing out that he can still do pretty much what he did in the 70′s, which is true. Unfortunately Dave can’t. It has nothing to do with liking Hagar either. I’m a Dave guy, but I don’t think we can ignore the obvious anymore….

Plant, IMO, had more to work with than Dave did and has more control over his voice now than he did in the 70s. Granted the range is not what it once was. In one of those recent Dave interviews he boasted that they used to have to tune down a full step and now he can sing anything, so apparently he thinks this high voice of his sounds good. It does not. Of course, Dave could still sound like Dave if he wanted to (See Blood and Fire for an example). The high voice started creeping in around Your Filthy Little Mouth (along with an overall change in his schtick imo – the DLR of 1994-present is NOT the DLR of 1978-1993) and is, sadly it seems, here to stay.

April 22, 2013 at 3:43 am Quote #24478

PT5150
(6281)

Ice Cream Man.
from Simon Phillips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72zSnX_6eMg&feature=youtu.be

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

April 22, 2013 at 3:46 am Quote #24479

ed5150
(211)

Some more

April 22, 2013 at 3:52 am Quote #24480

PT5150
(6281)

Pretty Women

April 22, 2013 at 4:04 am Quote #24481

PT5150
(6281)

Ice Cream Man.from Simon Phillips

April 22, 2013 at 7:29 am Quote #24484

ron
(11508)

Apart from a few sound issues with Van Halen, Duval (Stephen Duval of SEQ) said that the response had been ‘overwhelmingly positive’, a sentiment echoed by theMusic.com.au’s reviewer. It is the general consensus amongst punters and media today that the performances and the festival’s logistics were impressive.

April 22, 2013 at 8:10 am Quote #24485

PT5150
(6281)

Unchained

April 22, 2013 at 8:11 am Quote #24486

PT5150
(6281)

April 22, 2013 at 1:20 pm Quote #24499

guitard
(7354)

Warning: Not that I give a fuck – but I’m going to sound like a DLR apologist to many people in this post.

I won’t argue with anyone who says Dave’s voice isn’t what it used to be and I know it really bugs a lot of people – especially casual fans who expect him to sound like he did on VH1. But it’s not something that bothers me personally. To me, Dave is first and foremost a showman. And he still performs in that capacity just fine. My gut instinct tells me that the VH bros aren’t worried about his voice either. He brings a unique element to a Van Halen show that makes it a Van Halen show. The swagger, attitude, sense of humor, etc. that Dave brings to the band is uniquely him, and by extension, uniquely Van Halen. For one dimensional lead singers who rely only on their voices to entertain a crowd are in a serious pinch if their singing skills diminish. But it’s only one piece of the pie for Dave.

April 22, 2013 at 1:39 pm Quote #24500

sickman
(2380)

guitard:
Warning: Not that I give a fuck – but I’m going to sound like a DLR apologist to many people in this post.

I won’t argue with anyone who says Dave’s voice isn’t what it used to be and I know it really bugs a lot of people – especially casual fans who expect him to sound like he did on VH1.But it’s not something that bothers me personally.To me, Dave is first and foremost a showman.And he still performs in that capacity just fine.My gut instinct tells me that the VH bros aren’t worried about his voice either.He brings a unique element to a Van Halen show that makes it a Van Halen show.The swagger, attitude, sense of humor, etc. that Dave brings to the band is uniquely him, and by extension, uniquely Van Halen.For one dimensional lead singers who rely only on their voices to entertain a crowd are in a serious pinch if their singing skills diminish.But it’s only one piece of the pie for Dave.

Agree 100 %. You could bring in the best DLR impersonator and it just wouldn’t be Van Halen.

April 22, 2013 at 1:56 pm Quote #24502

redozzman
(48)

Dave’s voice is not gone, for some insane reason he refuses to sing in his vocal range??????? I can’t figure it out!

April 22, 2013 at 3:02 pm Quote #24504

jroundy
(1418)

sickman: Agree 100 %. You could bring in the best DLR impersonator and it just wouldn’t be Van Halen.

Well, I hope Dave’s voice isn’t gone, but if it is… it is. I don’t expect him to sing like he did in the ’80′s, but it would be nice if he could sing like he did for the ’07-’08 tour. If he did have to retire, I wouldn’t mind hearing Ralph Saenz front the band. Would still want Dave involved with song writing, and production.

The poor folks play for keeps down here…They’re the living dead. Nobody rules these streets at night like Van Halen!!

April 22, 2013 at 3:27 pm Quote #24505

wjamflan
(1089)

redozzman:
Dave’s voice is not gone, for some insane reason he refuses to sing in his vocal range???????I can’t figure it out!

Maybe this is a better way to put it, although he seems to have at least lost the ability to scream like he did back in the 70′s and 80′s. That wouldn’t bother me as much if he wasn’t trying to sing harmony lines above what he originally sang – see Dance The Night Away etc. The higher register of his voice is not pleasant, and he lacks control.

Be that as it may, I agree that you couldn’t replace what Dave brought to the band. They already tried that. It’s just that he isn’t bringing that anymore either IMHO. Not that that isn’t to be expected from an almost 60 year old man. It would be pretty creepy to hear him saying “I’m gonna fuck your girlfriend pal” or “Don’t stick your tongue out at me unless you intend to use it”.

I also agree with this statement from jabbo:

The high voice started creeping in around Your Filthy Little Mouth (along with an overall change in his schtick imo – the DLR of 1994-present is NOT the DLR of 1978-1993) and is, sadly it seems, here to stay.

I think it sums up nicely what I was trying to say. In the end though, I think I just miss the old days and it’s tough to swallow that they’re never coming back….

“This hamburger don’t need no helper.” – DLR 5/17/15

April 22, 2013 at 3:29 pm Quote #24507

ffoner
(1085)

In the minds of most music fans, VH is a legacy band. Yes, I know that ADKOT shows the band is committed to producing new music, but the band’s 78-84 output is what sells tickets.

Fans who fell in love with the old albums now listen to them on their Ipods or on the radio and have the wonderful experience of hearing Roth in prime form. His voice was distinctive and fit well with the band’s sound.

Anyone who’s upset that Roth doesn’t sound like he did in 1981 is living a logical contradiction. It’s 2013. None of us are the same as we were three decades ago. Roth isn’t the same. Eddie doesn’t play the same as he did in 78. Hell the band isn’t even the same lineup.

Those who are complaining about Roth’s voice? Pull out the old albums and hear them the way you want him to sound today, because that’s the only way you’ll get that experience.

The past is gone.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.