2 years ago …

TopicsAll ForumsGeneralVan Halen News2 years ago …

This topic has 13 voices, contains 14 replies, and was last updated by  Dave 3731 days ago.

February 7, 2014 at 6:43 pm Quote #32628

PT5150
(6281)

ADKOT came out..
Release date: February 7, 2012

It’s gone quick those 2 years.
What does everyone think of this album now?
I still love it some excellent songs are on there wished they had of played more live..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPbZEEZme6Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmcArl0gXRg

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

February 7, 2014 at 8:13 pm Quote #32631

Mink
(2663)

I’m half and half with it. I really only listen to 5 or 6 songs. The rest I can’t take. She’s the Women is good, and I wish they would have played As Is live. As well as Otta Space. I love the guitar work in that one. I’m glad they are doing anything really. Recording an album and then touring was monumental. I really enjoyed the rotating songs in the set list for most of the tour. Hopefully they are working on new material now.

February 7, 2014 at 10:30 pm Quote #32636

mrmojohalen
(6389)

I still love it 2 years later.
Like Mink, I listen to some songs more than others.
I skip over The Trouble With Never a lot.

When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

February 7, 2014 at 10:53 pm Quote #32638

PT5150
(6281)

Songs in bold are my favourite ones.

TATTOO Not that keen on this song when I first heard it but when I heard it live I really dug it and like it now..Strange as a 1st single I thought.
SHE’S THE WOMAN Great song.
YOU AND YOUR BLUES Good song I like Eds raking drum like riff at the start..
CHINA TOWN Cool groove would have been better live if Roth could sing it better and remember the words.Great work between Ed & Wolf.
BLOOD AND FIRE Always loved the Ripley riff..We heard it a few times live the band nailed it Roth struggled.Love the solo.
BULLETHEAD Great riff..Think Roth would have struggled with it’s pace live.
AS IS Awesome song from start to finish..Love the heavy guitar..Sounded great in sound check videos..Should have been played live.
HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL Another favourite of mine..Heavy guitar would have been great live..Wolf does a lot of the vocal, could have been pulled off live.
THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER The start reminded me of Extreme on the first listen..Good song but got a bit sick of it live.Great solo from Ed.
OUTTA SPACE One of my favourites from the album..Smoking riff..Loved the Lets Get Rockin demo song.Should have been played live.
STAY FROSTY I know a lot of people love it does’nt do that much for me.Cool when the band kicks in heavy but would rather a rocker instead.
BIG RIVER Bit slow for me.
BEATS WORKIN Think of AC/DC’s Walk All Over Me hearing the open guitar..I like this one..Love Al’s cow bell and Wolf’s bass work.Would have been cool live.Nice feedback fade out guitar right at the end.

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

February 8, 2014 at 2:02 am Quote #32645

mcs5150
(1096)

I still absolutely love this album.

February 8, 2014 at 8:11 am Quote #32646

Van Haggis
(74)

mcs5150: I still absolutely love this album.

Yeah I think it’s a great comeback. That guitar solo on Big River is one of the best !

February 8, 2014 at 1:39 pm Quote #32658

mrmojohalen
(6389)

My favs are:

SHE’S THE WOMAN
YOU AND YOUR BLUES
CHINA TOWN
BLOOD AND FIRE
BULLETHEAD
HONEYBABYSWEETIEDOLL
OUTTA SPACE
BIG RIVER

When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

February 8, 2014 at 2:02 pm Quote #32660

steecoe
(1984)

mcs5150: I still absolutely love this album.

Me too, start to finish I love it. Blood & Fire Trouble with never Honeybabysweetiedoll & Chinatown prolly are my favs but It plays over & over & over in my car. I Have the acoustic tunes on my disc too, thats some nifty tidbits they gave us to chomp on :)

February 8, 2014 at 2:42 pm Quote #32662

VAiN
(2777)

I still think it’s a solid album and like everyone else I really wish they would have played every song live one way or another. My favorites are HBSD, As-Is, She’s the Woman and Blood and Fire..

Resident dickhead. I will hurt your delicate feelings.

February 8, 2014 at 6:34 pm Quote #32663

Gilligan
(1518)

I have no complaints about the cd. I did not enjoy China Town live and there a few songs I skip occasionally, but it’s still a great listen. Top 3 for me are She’s the woman, stay frosty and you and your blues. Best solo is in Blood and Fire and best lyrics are in Bullethead. I kinda think Dave tried to cram too many lyrics into some of the songs but I guess he had soooo many after 23 years!

When I discovered Zero a few years back (thanks to VHTrading!) it completely blew me away so I think those original demos will always hold a special place in my musical heart. Because of that I don’t enjoy the reworked versions on ADKOT as much as I should or would have.

February 9, 2014 at 1:29 am Quote #32676

Revo11
(985)

Great rock and roll CD, pretty good VH CD. Better than 90% of the stuff that passes as rock these days.

February 9, 2014 at 11:06 am Quote #32681

dokkendude
(3023)

Still in heavy rotation on the iPod

February 9, 2014 at 11:37 am Quote #32682

jroundy
(1418)

Like it as much today as the day it came out. Chinatown is probably my least favorite, but that has always been true.

Love it… so happy the band could pull it off.

The poor folks play for keeps down here…They’re the living dead. Nobody rules these streets at night like Van Halen!!

February 9, 2014 at 2:25 pm Quote #32686

VOODOO
(2374)

I still love it. After waiting for so long for a new VH/Roth CD, I think it’s going to be a “go to” CD for a long time. I don’t really think there is a bad song on the disc. I’m really hoping that Dave’s prediction of an early 2015 CD and subsequent tour is true.

February 9, 2014 at 9:51 pm Quote #32700

Dave
(2283)

10 reasons I still love it (in no particular order):

1. If “Tattoo” is the worst song on the album, that’s a high quality problem. Besides, it’s the bastard son of “Down in Flames” & I’ve always liked that one.
2. It rocks. And it rocks hard, like Fair Warning hard.
3. Not only do they sound like classic Van Halen, they sound like the MIGHTY Van Halen.
4. You can hear Wolf’s bass. And it’s good.
5. Bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-Bullethead!! Such a guilty pleasure. C’mon, you know you love it.
6. The brown sound is back.
7. Alex is just a monster, sounds like he used to, with 2 wheels coming off the track.
8. Ed’s guitar is upfront and coming out of both speakers. I don’t ask for much.
9. Dave’s lyrics are as clever s ever.
10. Love the fact they revisited some old demos and made them even better.

Stay Frosty

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.