2015-07-30 Darling's Waterfront Pavilion, Bangor, ME

TopicsAll ForumsVan Halen2015 Tour2015-07-30 Darling's Waterfront Pavilion, Bangor, ME

This topic has 6 voices, contains 9 replies, and was last updated by  mrmojohalen 3182 days ago.

April 19, 2015 at 9:17 am Quote #44880

guitard
(7354)

:mrgreen:

June 9, 2015 at 9:55 am Quote #45860

ron
(11495)

Parking at People’s United Bank for the Van Halen concert on July 30 will benefit the ALS Association of Northern New England. The parking lot at 201 Main St. opens at 4 p.m. to concert parking. Proceeds will go to the ALS Association of Northern New England to assist in the fight against Lou Gehrig’s Disease.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Waterfront+Concerts/44.7982222,-68.7733056/@44.7961244,-68.7752041,17z/

July 31, 2015 at 3:30 am Quote #47819

Chris UK
(2998)

Front row video!

Everybody Wants Some

HFT

July 31, 2015 at 7:03 am Quote #47821

guitard
(7354)

I’m sure there are those who don’t like the (odd ball?) ad libbing that Dave is doing during the shows. Actually, several critics have pointedly made this clear. But I love it.

It was funny to hear Dave ask Ed during HFT, “Ed. Who was the guy who did, ‘And I bring you fire?’”

And without missing a beat, Ed shoots back, “Arthur Brown.”

So performing the 1968 hit song – here is Arthur Brown:

July 31, 2015 at 8:10 am Quote #47824

ron
(11495)

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/07/30/living/music-concerts-live-bands/van-halen-dances-the-night-away-on-the-bangor-waterfront/

Van Halen dances the night away on the Bangor Waterfront
By Emily Burnham, BDN Staff
Posted July 30, 2015, at 11:05 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — As far as bang for your buck goes, you’d be hard pressed to find a better live music deal than Van Halen. The venerable rockers played a two-hour set at the Darling’s Waterfront Pavilion in Bangor on Thursday night, blasting through their enormous list of hits, fan favorites and new songs in front of an adoring crowd.

Guitar god Eddie Van Halen, pounding drummer Alex Van Halen, bassist Wolfgang Van Halen — Eddie’s son, who replaced longtime bassist Michael Anthony — and legendary first and (hopefully) final lead singer David Lee Roth still have the chops, the energy and the love of the music that they had when they burst onto the national scene in the late 1970s.

The audience was likely the most diverse age range of any concert so far this season, from 10-year-old kids accompanying their parents to folks in their 50s and 60s who have been fans since the beginning. From “Runnin’ With the Devil” and “Dance the Night Away” to “Panama” and “Hot for Teacher,” there was no shortage of crowd-pleasers for the band to rifle off.

David Lee Roth may not be doing any more scissor kicks off drum risers, but “Diamond” Dave is still the consummate showman, engaging in off-color stage banter between, and sometimes during, each and every song, and changing in and out of sparkly, bright-colored blazers. Van Halen has always been as much about the party as it has been about the virtuoso guitar fireworks, and Roth was the primary driver of that attitude from the day he joined the band onward.

But the Van Halens — Eddie, Alex and now Wolfgang — are the true muscle. After all, is there a more archetypal guitar legend than Eddie Van Halen? He’s right up there in the guitar pantheon alongside Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix.

Opening for Van Halen was the Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band, a blues rock band that has been a longtime favorite on local classic rock station WKIT 100.3, with songs such as “Blue on Black” and “Everything Is Broken” still mainstays of the daily playlist.

There were intermittent heavy showers throughout the evening, but a little rain didn’t keep concert-goers from enjoying every last minute of rock.

August 1, 2015 at 8:07 am Quote #47877

PT5150
(6281)

Ice cream Man.
Dave reads out part of Stay Frosty..

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

August 1, 2015 at 8:09 am Quote #47879

PT5150
(6281)

Ed’s solo.

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

August 1, 2015 at 8:15 am Quote #47880

PT5150
(6281)

Cool clip were Dave talks to 10 year old boy in front Row.
Also notice Ed playing part of Humans Being…

August 1, 2015 at 5:07 pm Quote #47898

Gilligan
(1518)

guitard: I’m sure there are those who don’t like the (odd ball?) ad libbing that Dave is doing during the shows. Actually, several critics have pointedly made this clear. But I love it.

It was funny to hear Dave ask Ed during HFT, “Ed. Who was the guy who did, ‘And I bring you fire?’”

And without missing a beat, Ed shoots back, “Arthur Brown.”

So performing the 1968 hit song – here is Arthur Brown:

I love that interaction too, but that’s actually one of the few “scripted” ones they’ve done a few times already. There is a good close up of them doing it in Salt Lake and I think they do again in Red Rocks. Maybe the first time it was authentic so they just keep going for it! Like you said, though, it’s a fun moment.

August 2, 2015 at 10:30 pm Quote #47956

mrmojohalen
(6386)

PT5150: Cool clip were Dave talks to 10 year old boy in front Row. Also notice Ed playing part of Humans Being…

The riff was similar to Humans Being, but it wasn’t the actual riff.

When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.