2015 Taping Policy?

TopicsAll ForumsVan Halen2015 Tour2015 Taping Policy?

This topic has 20 voices, contains 93 replies, and was last updated by  rockphantom 3136 days ago.

July 8, 2015 at 8:10 am Quote #46701

guitard
(7354)

voodoo: Based on last night, it seems they aren’t harassing anyone about filming. I know the entire show was shot from the front row with no problems.

It’s important to know if that was shot with a true video camera or a point-and-shoot camera – because the point-and-shoot cameras are generally overlooked. My understanding from Ron is that the other Ron shot the entire show with a true video camera. So that’s a really good sign. Having said that … if the entire venue security staff except for this one one ass-hole is cool with filming – and the ass-hole is posted right next to you – it can really suck (I was in that situation at a Bob Seger concert).

July 8, 2015 at 8:19 am Quote #46703

mjk2112
(335)

i am wondering about taping w/ audio gear..? and if they are not allowing that? i want to use my audio-technica mic’s again!!! :)

boldly going nowhere

July 8, 2015 at 8:28 am Quote #46704

guitard
(7354)

mjk2112: i am wondering about taping w/ audio gear..? and if they are not allowing that?i want to use my audio-technica mic’s again!!! :)

How do you plan on deploying them?

July 8, 2015 at 8:43 am Quote #46705

mjk2112
(335)

guitard: How do you plan on deploying them?

deploying them? how’s that?

boldly going nowhere

July 8, 2015 at 8:59 am Quote #46709

guitard
(7354)

Clipped onto your collar … on a stand … clipped to your glasses/hat … handheld … taped to the railing … ect.

July 8, 2015 at 9:02 am Quote #46711

omahaswine
(79)

guitard: It’s important to know if that was shot with a true video camera or a point-and-shoot camera – because the point-and-shoot cameras are generally overlooked.

This is so true. I use a camcorder. I can’t tell you how many concerts I have been to that say no audio/video and security looks the other way with the point-and-shoot cameras. Now if I get busted they raise hell. I won’t even go into my last horror story.

July 8, 2015 at 9:05 am Quote #46712

mjk2112
(335)

guitard: Clipped onto your collar … on a stand … clipped to your glasses/hat … handheld … taped to the railing … ect.

clipped on my EVH hoodie.. if is not too HOT in Aug… my last capture was RUSH R40 in newark and i had them clipped onto my circa 1982 jean jacket..

boldly going nowhere

July 8, 2015 at 9:11 am Quote #46713

omahaswine
(79)

mjk2112: clipped on my EVH hoodie.. if is not too HOT in Aug… my last capture was RUSH R40 in newark and i had them clipped onto my circa 1982 jean jacket..

A lot of tapers do the hat thing, but I never have. I just clip it to my shirt. I always would wear a dark one so the mic would blend in. Never been busted doing audio.

July 8, 2015 at 9:16 am Quote #46714

mjk2112
(335)

yes i will be in black for sure! jean jacket wasn’t to stealth… LOL!

boldly going nowhere

July 8, 2015 at 9:22 am Quote #46716

guitard
(7354)

I have an old pair of Army “BCG” glasses (BCG = birth control glasses) (top photo). They are bi-focals. I normally hate bi-focals, but for filming shows, they come in handy because they allow me to clearly see my videocam LCD screen and the stage at the same time. I have croakies for the mics (photo 2) that allow me to deploy the mics right next to the lenses of the glasses. On numerous occasions over the years while wearing these glasses, I have had security within a few feet of me asking me questions, and they have yet to notice the mics. I think it’s because the thickness of the arms on the glasses do a good job of masking the mics. Not to mention … they look pretty dorky and I think that throws security off a bit.

July 8, 2015 at 9:25 am Quote #46717

mjk2112
(335)

guitard: I have an old pair of Army “BCG” glasses (BCG = birth control glasses) (top photo). They are bi-focals. I normally hate bi-focals, but for filming shows, they come in handy because they allow me to clearly see my videocam LCD screen and the stage at the same time. I have croakies for the mics (photo 2) that allow me to deploy the mics right next to the lenses of the glasses. On numerous occasions over the years while wearing these glasses, I have had security within a few feet of me asking me questions, and they have yet to notice the mics. I think it’s because the thickness of the arms on the glasses do a good job of masking the mics. Not to mention … they look pretty dorky and I think that throws security off a bit.

brilliant!

boldly going nowhere

July 8, 2015 at 9:48 am Quote #46718

mcs5150
(1096)

The last few posts have been very informative!

July 8, 2015 at 10:07 am Quote #46722

Vince G.
(2255)

omahaswine: A lot of tapers do the hat thing, but I never have.I just clip it to my shirt.I always would wear a dark one so the mic would blend in.Never been busted doing audio.

I clipped my mics to the brim of my ballcap when I saw VH in Denver in 2012. I had pointed slightly up, and did my best to hold still for the entire show. That’s how I came out with such a killer recording.

July 8, 2015 at 10:15 am Quote #46727

guitard
(7354)

Vince G.: I clipped my mics to the brim of my ballcap when I saw VH in Denver in 2012. I had pointed slightly up, and did my best to hold still for the entire show. That’s how I came out with such a killer recording.

Having the mics at head level (on glasses or a hat) as opposed to shoulder level when they are pinned to a collar, or even worse, at chest level when they are pinned to a shirt pocket – can make a huge difference in sound quality.

July 8, 2015 at 10:52 am Quote #46729

mjk2112
(335)

yeah i can dig that… may need to bring a black hat..! Thanks for the advice..

boldly going nowhere

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.