2015 Taping Policy?

TopicsAll ForumsVan Halen2015 Tour2015 Taping Policy?

This topic has 20 voices, contains 93 replies, and was last updated by  rockphantom 3141 days ago.

July 13, 2015 at 1:56 pm Quote #46979

mjk2112
(335)

question? what is the preferred taping medium? I have a roland edirol with external audio-technica mic’s but it seems video is the most talked about? so i am on the fence as to buying a camera for the show in Aug? either way thanks!

boldly going nowhere

July 13, 2015 at 3:07 pm Quote #46985

guitard
(7354)

mjk2112: question? what is the preferred taping medium? I have a roland edirol with external audio-technica mics but it seems video is the most talked about? so i am on the fence as to buying a camera for the show in Aug? either way thanks!

It’s really whatever you prefer. Although consider doing what I do: record audio with an audio rig – and shoot video at the same time. Once the Edirol is rolling, you just (carefully) put it in your pocket and there isn’t anything else you need to do with it for the entire show. So it’s pretty easy to do both.

I wouldn’t buy a camera just for the show though. Maybe you could borrow one (try to get one that shoots full 1080 HD). If not from someone local – maybe someone here could loan you one. It can’t hurt to ask.

July 13, 2015 at 3:13 pm Quote #46986

mjk2112
(335)

guitard: It’s really whatever you prefer. Although consider doing what I do: record audio with an audio rig – and shoot video at the same time.Once the Edirol is rolling, you just (carefully) put it in your pocket and there isn’t anything else you need to do with it for the entire show.So it’s pretty easy to do both.
I wouldn’t buy a camera just for the show though.Maybe you could borrow one (try to get one that shoots full 1080 HD).If not from someone local – maybe someone here could loan you one.It can’t hurt to ask.

thanks for the info/guidance…

boldly going nowhere

July 13, 2015 at 4:35 pm Quote #46993

Gilligan
(1518)

Regarding security, I know every venue is different, but with the amount of people holding up cameras and cell phones anymore, I don’t know how a security person can really tell what’s being used. In Portland, a bigger problem was people standing on the arms of their chairs, blocking the view of people behind them. Security did nothing about that, so it was handled “internally” without much incident.

July 13, 2015 at 4:53 pm Quote #46994

guitard
(7354)

It’s pretty much a given anymore that regardless of “camera policy,” security isn’t going to say anything about smart phones and point-and-shoot cameras. The question really comes up when you bring in an actually video camera.

With point-and-shoot cameras now able to shoot full HD video (and some doing it very well), you’d think that security wouldn’t say anything about consumer video cameras. However, my experience is that they still draw the line with them. I was at a Bob Seger show a few years ago with my Sony TG1 (see pic below):

Unfortunately, my seat was second from the end of the row, and there was a security guy posted right at the end of the row. When he saw me filming, he told me to stop. I told him to look down the row at all the people shooting video with their point-and-shoot cameras. The guy said they were only taking pictures. He caught me a second time a while later and read me the riot act. I (very discreetly) tried to bribe him with a $50 bill, but he wouldn’t take it and I put my video camera away.

July 13, 2015 at 7:33 pm Quote #46996

sbnitro
(505)

I betting that Red Rocks will not let me bring in my Canon 7d. St. Louis 2012 I got It In though! 2nd row right in front of Eddie!

July 13, 2015 at 8:42 pm Quote #47000

JasonA
(1105)

sbnitro: I betting that Red Rocks will not let me bring in my Canon 7d. St. Louis 2012 I got It In though! 2nd row right in front of Eddie!

Would love to see whatever footage you’d get from that! I don’t have a 7D, just a little Rebel T2i, but I did manage to get it into a Red Hot Chili Peppers show once. My trick was to put the shortest lens I had on the camera body (just for looks) to get it into the show, and have my wife smuggle the long telephoto in her bag. Once inside, change lenses and shoot this:

July 13, 2015 at 10:37 pm Quote #47007

guitard
(7354)

JasonA: My trick was to put the shortest lens I had on the camera body (just for looks) to get it into the show, and have my wife smuggle the long telephoto in her bag.

My wife has done that for me a few times. Except she tucked it under one of her boobs – and walked right through security without anyone noticing anything unusual.

July 14, 2015 at 8:11 pm Quote #47046

sbnitro
(505)

JasonA: Would love to see whatever footage you’d get from that! I don’t have a 7D, just a little Rebel T2i, but I did manage to get it into a Red Hot Chili Peppers show once. My trick was to put the shortest lens I had on the camera body (just for looks) to get it into the show, and have my wife smuggle the long telephoto in her bag. Once inside, change lenses and shoot this:

Nice video! did you get the whole show? Check your PM’s.

July 14, 2015 at 11:19 pm Quote #47054

frankm
(4888)

guitard: It’s pretty much a given anymore that regardless of “camera policy,” security isn’t going to say anything about smart phones and point-and-shoot cameras.

When I went to Rush in 2013. I was shooting video using my smartphone (just a short 5 to 10 minute clip) and security came down to my row and yelled at me to put the phone away. I thought realy? Your gonna bitch about someone with a smartphone filming like 5 minutes of video. WTF? And they really had to get to me cuz I was in the middle of the row and not easy to get to. How stupid.

July 14, 2015 at 11:21 pm Quote #47055

guitard
(7354)

Rush has traditionally been an exception to the this rule. Although it seems they have (finally) backed off some on this current tour.

July 15, 2015 at 7:39 am Quote #47070

frankm
(4888)

guitard: Rush has traditionally been an exception to the this rule.Although it seems they have (finally) backed off some on this current tour.

Whereas I completely agree with you, you can also run into some security guard that is just a complete hosehead and thinks he has the right to do or say whatever he likes. It is also becoming more and more common for an entire section of people to hold up their phones so even the most hardnosed security guy is going to have difficulties stopping hundreds if not thousands of people from taking a picture or shooting a video.

I may have told this story once before but my brother is a lawyer. In the 90s I asked him once if I got caught recording a show if the security guard has the right to take my recorder. He said don’t confuse having the right to do something with actually trying to do it. He said even if the security guard doesn’t have the right, if he is being a d!ck and thinks he has the right … you may find yourself in a situation you don’t wanna be in. I’ve never run into that situation but I have run into security people that think they are God’s gift to the planet. To be fair I’ve also run into some really nice security. You never know what your gonna get.

July 15, 2015 at 12:37 pm Quote #47089

Vince G.
(2255)

I bought the Nikon. The zoom on it is unbelievable. I took a practice shot of a real estate sign about 7 houses down the street, using the zoom, of course, and the end result? The sign looked like it was in my front yard and was perfectly in focus. It also shoots 1080p HD video.

July 15, 2015 at 12:59 pm Quote #47090

guitard
(7354)

Of course, it’s nice that it shoots good pictures. But for the music collecting hobby – I would like to know how well it shoots video at concerts.

July 15, 2015 at 2:08 pm Quote #47097

Vince G.
(2255)

I guess we’ll find out next Monday. :wink:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.