5 Ways Eddie Van Halen Breaks the Rock-Star Rules

TopicsAll ForumsGeneralVan Halen News5 Ways Eddie Van Halen Breaks the Rock-Star Rules

This topic has 17 voices, contains 46 replies, and was last updated by  Dutchie 3222 days ago.

June 20, 2015 at 12:37 am Quote #46123

Cut2TheCrash
(816)

This is no different than Keith Richards book right before a tour with the Stones here in the last few years…… he didnt paint a good picture of Mick at all

June 20, 2015 at 3:03 am Quote #46124

Dutchie
(1767)

mcs5150: It is what it is. Any VH fan would be used to it by now.
As for Mike not calling, that is a really fucked-up thing. Even if Eddie and him were not talking, you would think that Mike would at least try to call or reach out. If I was Eddie I would want nothing to do with Mike after that.

Yeah, that’s kind of unforgivable for me too. How do you not call someone you’ve know for that long after their mother dies…. Maybe Sammy wouldn’t let him.
As bad as the relationship was between VH & DLR was in the mid 80′s, Dave called both Ed & Al when their dad died.
Dave’s a class act.

June 20, 2015 at 5:56 am Quote #46127

mcs5150
(1096)

Dutchie: Yeah, that’s kind of unforgivable for me too. How do you not call someone you’ve know for that long after their mother dies…. Maybe Sammy wouldn’t let him. As bad as the relationship was between VH & DLR was in the mid 80′s, Dave called both Ed & Al when their dad died. Dave’s a class act.

Not to mention not calling Eddie even though Ed had cancer.

June 20, 2015 at 6:34 am Quote #46128

Gilligan
(1518)

voodoo: Dave has been talking shit about how Ed and Al don’t want to write new material and how he would like to have Mike on tour, but that’s all well and good. Ed speaks his mind and tells how he sees it and the tour is going to fall apart?

I’m not saying that. In fact, I still believe the old adage “all news is good news”, but for whatever reason, IMHO Dave is engaging and funny and you can laugh him off. He’s probably one of the top 3 greatest “one-liner-givers” in music. But Ed is generally serious, negative and kind of a downer. He’s my most favorite musician ever, but I still wish he’d just stay quiet. Even back in the heyday I always kind of cringed at his interviews.

All that said, i CAN’T WAIT for July 7th. If they play Dirty Movies I’ll have an orgasm – I’m really excited for this tour!

June 20, 2015 at 7:52 am Quote #46130

Dave
(2283)

Gilligan:

All that said, i CAN’T WAIT for July 7th.If they play Dirty Movies I’ll have an orgasm – I’m really excited for this tour!

Well, you certainly picked an appropriate song to do that. :mrgreen:

Stay Frosty

June 20, 2015 at 12:14 pm Quote #46132

ron
(11489)

Headlines in the press from all this…

Sammy Hagar Slams Eddie Van Halen: ‘You’re a Liar’
SAMMY HAGAR To EDDIE VAN HALEN: ‘F**k You. You’re A Liar’
Sammy Hagar Defends Michael Anthony: ‘F— You, Eddie Van Halen’
EDDIE VAN HALEN Slams MICHAEL ANTHONY: ‘I Have More Soul As A Singer Than He Does’
Eddie Van Halen says David Lee Roth doesn’t want to be his friend
Eddie Van Halen Trashes David Lee Roth: ‘Act Like You’re 60′
Eddie Van Halen blames guitar picks for giving him tongue cancer
Eddie Van Halen Says Sammy Hagar’s Book ‘Was Definitely Embellished’
Eddie Van Halen on Former Van Halen Bassist Michael Anthony: ‘I Had to Show Him How to Play’
Eddie Van Halen calls former bandmate musically challenged
Eddie Van Halen Would Like David Lee Roth To Finally Grow Up
Eddie Van Halen plays down Michael Anthony’s contribution to the band
Eddie Van Halen slams David Lee Roth
Eddie Van Halen’s Not Familiar with Guns N’ Roses, Radiohead or Metallica
Eddie Van Halen slams David Lee Roth, tells him to act his age
Eddie Van Halen: I started drinking and smoking when I was 12

June 20, 2015 at 12:28 pm Quote #46133

guitard
(7354)

I tend to stay out of the “woe is Mike” debates because unlike the Dave vs Sammy debates, where you can choose one or the other or you can say you like both, with Mike it seems like it has to be one or the other.

I’m not against him in anyway, but I largely agree with Voodoo in that Mike is a competent musician and vocalist — who was fortunate to be the guy playing bass in a band that became wildly famous. But he’s not the secret to Van Halen’s success. Van Halen could have achieved the same success with another bassist, but the same wouldn’t be true for DLR or Ed. DLR and Ed are the two prime ingredients. Without one of them, there is no Van Halen as we know it. Al is an interesting case. I think his drumming is good, but you could easily find another drummer to replace him. The wildcard for Al is that he is Ed’s brother and Ed being the rather quirky guy that he is – I don’t think Ed would have made it on his own. I don’t mean to say that he wouldn’t have developed into a great guitar player, but there are lots of great guitar players who you’ve never heard of because fate didn’t lead them down the path to stardom. Some of them never made it out of their bedroom or garage. Without Al, Ed could be a 60 year old auto mechanic that did his 9-5 job and then went home and cranked up his amp and jammed every night down in the basement – but other than being the hot shot guitarist at his high school back in the day, pretty much no one except his neighbors know he still plays guitar. I suspect DLR would have achieved success outside of Van Halen one way or another, but it probably wouldn’t have reached anywhere near the heights that he has reached in Van Halen. He probably would have been something of a regional LA-based success story or something like that.

June 20, 2015 at 1:06 pm Quote #46135

ron
(11489)

guitard: I tend to stay out of the “woe is Mike” debates because unlike the Dave vs Sammy debates, where you can choose one or the other or you can say you like both, with Mike it seems like it has to be one or the other.

I’m not against him in anyway, but I largely agree with Voodoo in that Mike is a competent musician and vocalist — who was fortunate to be the guy playing bass in a band that became wildly famous.

June 20, 2015 at 2:42 pm Quote #46136

ron
(11489)

Cut2TheCrash: 3. He Dresses Normcore Okay, so there are punk and indie musicians who rock the regular Joe look, but few rock stars from Van Halen’s era will say, “I’m a T-shirt and jeans guy.” And he definitely didn’t bond with former Van Halen singer Gary Cherone over clothing choices: “We were getting ready to go on tour, and all of a sudden I see this John Travolta outfit — these big lapels and a crazy jacket. He’s like, ‘This is my stage outfit.’ That’s when I realized it wasn’t going to work,” says

http://twitter.com/garycherone/status/612268158527868928

gary cherone @garycherone
9:37 AM – 20 Jun 2015

‘I don’t know what @eddievanhalen talking about?” @VanHalen http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6605231/eddie-van-halen-addiction-david-lee-roth-touring … #VHIII #ClassOf79

June 20, 2015 at 7:26 pm Quote #46139

mdk7691
(317)

June 20, 2015 at 10:40 pm Quote #46141

PT5150
(6281)

Val defending Ed on Twitter…

@Wolfiesmom: But we don’t have to agree with it, do we? It was his experience, not ours. #judgenot https://t.co/5x3iWfhro5

@Wolfiesmom: @Arion5150 i hear ya. Ed has always said whatever he wants. Like I said, no pc edit button. Not insecurity

@Wolfiesmom: Honestly don’t think he meant to bash. That’s just his truth. https://t.co/1WhxKkoVyR

@seanbraatz: @Wolfiesmom @daumer1215 @billboard Ed can say whatever he wants. Let’s not forget how much shit Sammy slung in the past!!

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

June 21, 2015 at 10:55 am Quote #46149

VOODOO
(2374)

mrmojohalen: Listen to any solo from the 5150 tour. He plays for awhile & then he makes noise.
You can’t run around the stage & play at the same time, so some noise is necessary. :mrgreen:

I’ve listened to every solo on every tour either live, on bootlegs or both. When he did actually something, he played a simple little pattern for a brief part of the solo spot and then it’s just all slamming on strings and heavily processed effects. It was his thing, but I never felt it added anything to the show.

June 21, 2015 at 2:01 pm Quote #46156

guitard
(7354)

voodoo: I’ve listened to every solo on every tour either live, on bootlegs or both. When he did actually something, he played a simple little pattern for a brief part of the solo spot and then it’s just all slamming on strings and heavily processed effects. It was his thing, but I never felt it added anything to the show.

I beg to differ about whether it added to the show or not. When I first saw Mike do his solo back in the day (’79 & ’80) it was wildly entertaining to me. Especially the part where he rolled over several times. I had never seen anyone do something like that.

Did it involve much musicianship? No. Was it entertaining? Absolutely! Did it get kind of old over the years. Sadly … when you already knew it was coming … yes.

June 21, 2015 at 2:35 pm Quote #46158

mrmojohalen
(6385)

Does the drum solo still add anything to the show ?

When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

June 21, 2015 at 3:20 pm Quote #46162

VOODOO
(2374)

mrmojohalen: Does the drum solo still add anything to the show ?

I liked that Al turned his solo into more of a song. It could be scrapped though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.