2015-08-01 Xfinity Center, Boston, MA

TopicsAll ForumsVan Halen2015 Tour2015-08-01 Xfinity Center, Boston, MA

This topic has 11 voices, contains 39 replies, and was last updated by  ron 3013 days ago.

August 7, 2015 at 10:06 am Quote #48196

ron
(11464)

http://www.vanyaland.com/2015/08/06/photo-gallery-van-halen-play-hits-and-break-out-deep-cuts-at-the-xfinity-center/

Photo Gallery: Van Halen play the hits and break out some deep cuts at Mansfield’s Xfinity Center
Michael Christopher
August 6, 2015

Despite a somewhat tepid response this past spring to their first ever live album with original frontman David Lee Roth, Van Halen forged ahead with a lengthy summer tour that kicked off over the fourth of July weekend and runs through October. Touching down at the Xfinity Center in Mansfield last Saturday night, one month into the jaunt, the aged Southern California party rock band are somehow garnering some of the best reviews in a four-decade career.

Much of it is due to the deft fretwork of band namesake Edward Van Halen, who arguably hasn’t been playing guitar this well since the late’70s/early’80s. Clearly buoyed by his son Wolfgang handling bass duties with rock solid brother Alex providing the backbone behind the drum kit, Eddie hasn’t looked this happy in quite a longtime — especially never knowing what that loose cannon Roth is going to do up there. But there his singer is, at 60 years old, throwing kicks a man half his age wouldn’t attempt, dropping into James Brown-style poses and providing a running, rambling and often hilarious narration of the proceedings at every opportunity.

Roth’s vocals have long been a point of consternation for fans, but he’s sounding pointedly better than both the 2007 reunion tour and 2012 outing to support stellar record A Different Kind of Truth. Mainly, the singer seems to be getting the hint to avoid stretching beyond his already limited range on demanding tracks like “China Town” and “Somebody Get Me a Doctor.”

Speaking of the setlist, this lean operating machine of the Mighty VH is not content these days to just trot out the backyard barbecue hits like “Panama” and “Ice Cream Man.” Nope, they’re digging deep on never-before-played-live cuts like “Dirty Movies” and “Drop Dead Legs” along with rarely busted out favorites like “Feel Your Love Tonight” and “Light Up the Sky,” the latter which has made for a surprising but satisfying opener each night.

Here’s the full setlist:
Light Up The Sky
Runnin’ With The Devil
Romeo Delight
Everybody Wants Some!!
Drop Dead Legs
Feel Your Love Tonight
Somebody Get Me A Doctor
She’s The Woman
China Town
I’ll Wait
Drum Solo
Little Guitars
Dance The Night Away
Beautiful Girls
Women In Love
Hot For Teacher
In A Simple Rhyme/Growth
“Dirty Movies”
Ice Cream Man
Unchained
Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love
Guitar Solo
You Really Got Me
Panama
Jump

And here are some photos from Saturday’s show…

August 7, 2015 at 6:13 pm Quote #48233

Mink
(2663)

I’m glad to see they are getting good reviews. I do think Eddie’s playing is in some of the best form in a long time. He really is crushing it! I agree that Roth is in good shape and providing fine commentary along the way. I do however disagree with this review of Roth’s voice. I recently listened to the Tokyo show the same day I also listened to the Bangor, ME recording. I heard a noticeable difference in Dave’s voice in She’s the Woman from just two years ago, and not for the better. I think his voice is still slowly deteriorating. I love this summer’s set list and the boys seem to be having fun. I am glad they are out there playing. Just my observation on this review and Dave’s pipes.

August 7, 2015 at 6:29 pm Quote #48234

mjk2112
(335)

brilliant!!

boldly going nowhere

August 7, 2015 at 7:38 pm Quote #48243

Gilligan
(1518)

Mink: …and Dave’s pipes.

Haha for some reason when I first read that I thought it said “Dave’s nipples.” Must have been from looking at this picture just moments earlier?!

August 7, 2015 at 7:46 pm Quote #48244

guitard
(7354)

Mink: Just my observation on this review and Dave’s pipes.

Gilligan: Haha for some reason when I first read that I thought it said “Dave’s nipples.” Must have been from looking at this picture just moments earlier?!

Same thing for me … sort of. Except I thought it was one of those plural / singular voice mix-ups.

August 7, 2015 at 9:26 pm Quote #48248

Mink
(2663)

That is a clean shot of his nipple! Maybe it should be in the B( . )( . )Bs thread. :)

August 9, 2015 at 5:43 pm Quote #48305

jroundy
(1418)

ron: http://www.vanyaland.com/2015/08/06/photo-gallery-van-halen-play-hits-and-break-out-deep-cuts-at-the-xfinity-center/

Roth’s vocals have long been a point of consternation for fans, but he’s sounding pointedly better than both the 2007 reunion tour and 2012 outing to support stellar record A Different Kind of Truth. Mainly, the singer seems to be getting the hint to avoid stretching beyond his already limited range on demanding tracks like “China Town” and “Somebody Get Me a Doctor.”

No way is Dave singing better than in ’07-’08…. this reviewer has got a bad memory or isn’t paying attention.

The poor folks play for keeps down here…They’re the living dead. Nobody rules these streets at night like Van Halen!!

September 7, 2015 at 4:59 pm Quote #49203

PT5150
(6280)

Not sure if this has been posted…Thanks Callen…

Watch “Van Halen 8/1/15 Mansfield, MA BTB PRODUCTIONS” on YouTube.

EDDIE’S fingers aren’t fingers they are muscle-powered pistons that hammer guitar strings to the fretboard with the force of a rivet gun”.

September 8, 2015 at 9:31 pm Quote #49229

jroundy
(1418)

PT5150: Not sure if this has been posted…Thanks Callen…

Watch “Van Halen 8/1/15 Mansfield, MA BTB PRODUCTIONS” on YouTube.

I have seen this…. too bad it’s not in HD quality.

The poor folks play for keeps down here…They’re the living dead. Nobody rules these streets at night like Van Halen!!

December 28, 2015 at 12:03 pm Quote #51514

ron
(11464)

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/2015/12/live_wires_these_concerts_were_the_10_best_of_2015

Van Halen, the Xfinity Center, Mansfield, Aug. 1: How can we stay mad at them if they’re not staying mad at each other? Dave and three Van Halen family members — Eddie’s kid plays bass now — showed love for their classic catalog, fans and each other. Yup, Dave can’t sing, but his cheek and moxie matter more than hitting high notes. And Ed’s guitar remains a flawless force of nature.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.