2015 Stage Layout – Any Obstructions?

TopicsAll ForumsVan Halen2015 Tour2015 Stage Layout – Any Obstructions?

This topic has 5 voices, contains 14 replies, and was last updated by  rockphantom 3198 days ago.

July 10, 2015 at 3:56 pm Quote #46860

rockphantom
(169)

I have an opportunity to pick up floor seats at the far left of the stage for an upcoming show.
Are there any obstructions on/or suspended above the stage that would block my view of Alex and the back of the stage?

July 10, 2015 at 4:47 pm Quote #46861

ron
(11489)

rockphantom: I have an opportunity to pick up floor seats at the far left of the stage for an upcoming show. Are there any obstructions on/or suspended above the stage that would block my view of Alex and the back of the stage?

Each venue is probably going to be a little different. You recall the lighting trusses from the Kimmel performance, right? You can see the one over on Wolfie’s side in this shot.

July 11, 2015 at 12:58 am Quote #46877

Gilligan
(1518)

At the “Portland” amphitheater, the stage is really wide, but they only use the middle part of it. Consequently, if you are on the outer half of the side sections (this place had 3 sections – left, middle and right) you were definitely blocked by the front lighting “arch”. We were in the middle of the section on Eddie’s side and we were still quite a bit to the side of the band. Anyone to our right had their view of Alex blocked.

July 11, 2015 at 9:24 pm Quote #46909

rockphantom
(169)

Thank you for the feedback fellas!
I had feared that the view of the back of the stage and Alex would be obstructed from the far right and left floor seats.
The seats in question are roughly 50 feet from the stage and should be right below a large speaker stack.
At this stage of the game I am more interested in producing a high quality audio recording than actually seeing the band.
I’ll probably spend more time monitoring levels on my PCM-M10 than watching the show.
However, my friend may be unhappy with me for sticking him with an obstructed view seat.
I am the designated “ticket broker” for this gig.
On the positive side, these tickets are available for about HALF of what we wanted to spend per seat.
Decision time….

July 11, 2015 at 10:45 pm Quote #46915

ron
(11489)

July 12, 2015 at 11:34 am Quote #46937

guitard
(7354)

Thank goodness my seats are dead center. And I’m not bummed out in the least that I’m only going to have two cameramen in the pit blocking my view.

July 12, 2015 at 11:52 am Quote #46939

mrmojohalen
(6385)

guitard: Thank goodness my seats are dead center.And I’m not bummed out in the least that I’m only going to have two cameramen in the pit blocking my view.

As long as RON isn’t standing in front of you. :mrgreen:

When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

July 12, 2015 at 1:46 pm Quote #46943

rockphantom
(169)

My friend agreed that two 4th row floor seats for $215 was a deal, so I grabbed the floor section 5 row D seats for the Austin gig on September 21st. My main focus will be to produce a stellar live audio recording for the VH fan community. Being near speaker stacks should make this easy for me! http://austin360amphitheater.com/guest-info/seating-chart

July 12, 2015 at 4:13 pm Quote #46947

guitard
(7354)

mrmojohalen: As long as RON isn’t standing in front of you. :mrgreen:

I think you meant The Rons. :mrgreen:

July 12, 2015 at 4:35 pm Quote #46950

ron
(11489)

mrmojohalen: As long as RON isn’t standing in front of you. :mrgreen:

It wouldn’t be so bad if the people behind me were 6 foot plus, but it always seems to be some 5 foot nothing chick.

Ticketmaster should set something up so that I can say, “the person in front of the seat you have chosen is tall, you may want to select another seat” :)

July 12, 2015 at 5:35 pm Quote #46954

guitard
(7354)

Grand Rapids 2008 was the worst. I had a guy that was at least 6’6″ in front of me and throughout the entire show he was leaning down to talk with his friend.

July 15, 2015 at 9:46 pm Quote #47138

rockphantom
(169)

A quick follow up on my original post…
My discounted floor tickets arrived today. Everything checks out.
Section to the farthest to the left of the stage, SEC 5.
Row D. 2 aisle seats at the very end of the row (farthest from the stage).
http://www.ticketmaster.com/van-halen-austin-texas-09-21-2015/event/3A004D92367361F9?artistid=772490&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1&tm_link=artist_msg-0_3A004D92367361F9&bba=0
I bought these tickets for 35% below face value.
Seats in sections 2-4 are selling for $450-$750 EACH.
I’ll be happy sitting in my discount seat and taping all night long.
I can’t complain all!

July 15, 2015 at 10:26 pm Quote #47142

mrmojohalen
(6385)

ron: It wouldn’t be so bad if the people behind me were 6 foot plus, but it always seems to be some 5 foot nothing chick.

Ticketmaster should set something up so that I can say, “the person in front of the seat you have chosen is tall, you may want to select another seat” :)

Next time, let her climb on your back. :mrgreen:

When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

July 15, 2015 at 10:57 pm Quote #47144

guitard
(7354)

rockphantom: aisle seats at the very end of the row (farthest from the stage).

Are you video taping or audio taping (or both)? The reason I ask is because there is a very high probability that a security guy will be posted at or near the entrance of that first row to make sure people who don’t have tickets for that section don’t try to sneak down there. It’s purely luck of the draw, but if you get a guy who’s a dick about video taping, he could be a pain because he’ll be standing with his back to the stage looking out over the audience and you are going to be right there in his cross hairs. I was in this exact situation a few years ago at a Bob Seger concert (I recently posted about it here somewhere in another thread). Just be careful and watchful for “that” guy.

July 15, 2015 at 11:06 pm Quote #47146

rockphantom
(169)

I’ll only be taping audio.
I’m planning to use CAFS (Church Audio Freakin’ Small) micro mics along with the Church Audio Ugly 2 Pre-Amp, and Sony PCM-M10 recorder.
Last year a former co-worker of mine was moonlighting as an usher of the section I will be in for Van Halen (in 2014, I caught Lionel Richie from SEC 5 Row-A ). I am hoping he will be back this year. If he is, I’ll be in good hands. :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.