2015-08-05 Western Fair District, London, ON

TopicsAll ForumsVan Halen2015 Tour2015-08-05 Western Fair District, London, ON

This topic has 14 voices, contains 55 replies, and was last updated by  King Edward 3169 days ago.

August 6, 2015 at 12:28 pm Quote #48170

guitard
(7354)

floydrose5150: At one point, Al must have had his in-ear mix cut out or next to nothing, as he lost his click track (apparently) as even the most basic drum fills like in “I’ll Wait” he failed badly on. Totally not his fault, but it happened again and again, same fills, obviously apparent that he was not hearing the sequenced track. Was the start of a train wreck for the band, which they did recover from. (thankfully)

Al (the entire band, for that matter) has played most of his career without the click track, so you’d think he could adapt on the fly. Especially if they improvised with a stage monitor that he could listen to. Having said that, there probably isn’t a lot of space inside of his drum kit setup for a stage monitor.

August 6, 2015 at 1:00 pm Quote #48171

VOODOO
(2374)

guitard: Al (the entire band, for that matter) has played most of his career without the click track, so you’d think he could adapt on the fly.

That’s pretty hard to do when, as was said, you can’t hear the sequenced track and you’re not hearing the click. Al doesn’t have a monitor next to his kit to keep him in time. It’s not like they’re playing in a bar and your stage volume is loud. Not to mention, he’s in his 60s and his hearing is shot on top of the fact that he’s been using the click track in his IEM at least since ’07-’08. You can’t simply “adapt” on the fly if you’re not able to hear everything clearly. If you hear any of the IEM tracks or the soundcheck recorded from 2012, you’ll clearly hear that Al has a click going on every song, whether there are keys or not.

August 6, 2015 at 1:18 pm Quote #48172

guitard
(7354)

voodoo: That’s pretty hard to do when, as was said, you can’t hear the sequenced track and you’re not hearing the click. Al doesn’t have a monitor next to his kit to keep him in time. It’s not like they’re playing in a bar and your stage volume is loud. Not to mention, he’s in his 60s and his hearing is shot on top of the fact that he’s been using the click track in his IEM at least since ’07-’08. You can’t simply “adapt” on the fly if you’re not able to hear everything clearly. If you hear any of the IEM tracks or the soundcheck recorded from 2012, you’ll clearly hear that Al has a click going on every song, whether there are keys or not.

I’m not a drummer, so I’m only offering what I think is a reasonable opinion. Even if he hasn’t done it in recent years, after playing live for 30-35 years without a click track, it seems to me that he could revert back to that old school internal timer, and after a few songs he could get back in the old groove and pull it off.

August 6, 2015 at 1:43 pm Quote #48173

ron
(11495)

August 6, 2015 at 2:03 pm Quote #48175

mjk2112
(335)

guitard: I’m not a drummer, so I’m only offering what I think is a reasonable opinion. Even if he hasn’t done it in recent years, after playing live for 30-35 years without a click track, it seems to me that he could revert back to that old school internal timer, and after a few songs he could get back in the old groove and pull it off.

well i am a drummer for more than 34yrs and i agree with you guitard but each circumstance is very different. i have always had a problem with his fills for IW since they came back on the scene in 2012. i wanna say IW in 07-08 was better/closer to orig:))

boldly going nowhere

August 6, 2015 at 2:13 pm Quote #48176

floydrose5150
(152)

Yeah it is what it is. No show is flawless. Even with the issues I pointed out, I still felt like a teenager again. I love Van Halen, plain and simple. Looking forward to tomorrow’s show.

August 6, 2015 at 2:22 pm Quote #48177

VOODOO
(2374)

Feel Your Love Tonight

Drop Dead Legs

Unchained

Guitar Solo

Hot For Teacher

August 6, 2015 at 8:34 pm Quote #48184

sbnitro
(505)

floydrose5150: Yeah it is what it is. No show is flawless. Even with the issues I pointed out, I still felt like a teenager again. I love Van Halen, plain and simple. Looking forward to tomorrow’s show.

That’s how I feel too! I’m just happy being able to see them live in 2015.

August 16, 2015 at 5:05 am Quote #48450

Halenberg
(406)

August 16, 2015 at 9:12 am Quote #48453

ron
(11495)

August 16, 2015 at 11:49 am Quote #48456

King Edward
(1945)

Halenberg: https://youtu.be/epFPNE8DP6o

This is great stuff! Love the funked up “Panama” and the snippit of “Kashmir”…..really cool!
Thanks for sharing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.