1978 HD LIVE!!!

TopicsAll ForumsVan HalenOnline Videos1978 HD LIVE!!!

This topic has 34 voices, contains 122 replies, and was last updated by  single-8 3591 days ago.

May 7, 2014 at 8:30 pm Quote #35789

VAiN
(2777)

mrmojohalen: Any seller wanting that much money is delusional.

That’s putting it mildly.. what a dick. Instead of contributing to the community he chooses to sit on it.

Resident dickhead. I will hurt your delicate feelings.

May 7, 2014 at 9:16 pm Quote #35797

Gilligan
(1518)

Yeah, I don’t really see bootlegs as “valuable”. They are more like a hobby, and bootleg enthusiasts should be (and mostly are) willing to share and help the community, not profit from it. I’d like to think if I found a box of unreleased tapes or videos, I’d be super eager and proud to share with other people who might care to hear or see them.

Then again, greed is mighty powerful thing, so who knows.. but I’d like to think we’d all do the right thing. :-D

May 7, 2014 at 9:29 pm Quote #35799

Halenberg
(406)

I’m just glad it’s the same footage that has already been out for years. As opposed to something brand new never seen. Then I’d be going freakin’ nuts wondering what I’m missing out on, and dying to see it. Then probably get pissed off royal because the bastard wants to be a big man about it.

It’s refreshing to me that at least I know what it is. If he showed snippetts from Fresno in 1980 or 1981 I’d be going bananas.

May 7, 2014 at 10:06 pm Quote #35807

thismusicsux
(578)

Halenberg: I’m just glad it’s the same footage that has already been out for years. As opposed to something brand new never seen. Then I’d be going freakin’ nuts wondering what I’m missing out on, and dying to see it. Then probably get pissed off royal because the bastard wants to be a big man about it.

It’s refreshing to me that at least I know what it is. If he showed snippetts from Fresno in 1980 or 1981 I’d be going bananas.

Yeah exactly. If something totally unknown and new surfaces that would sting a lot more.

May 8, 2014 at 12:00 am Quote #35815

Halenberg
(406)

thismusicsux: Yeah exactly.If something totally unknown and new surfaces that would sting a lot more.

Yeah, a lot more.

There is a band from my town named Trooper, who were quite big in Canada in the mid to late ’70′s. This ” super 8 films ” guy has footage of this band Trooper from 1978.
Now, previously within the last year, I have had an unusual internet corrospondence with one of the members of this band. What happened was, I made a simple YouTube comment about a live concert video I watched, and the YouTube Channel the video belonged to was one of the members. He sent me messages back, and I chit-chatted with him quite a few times off and on this past year. I had just made a simple comment on YouTube, most likely when I was juiced up watching rock n roll one night, I didnt expect to have to engage with one of the band members because of it. But felt it impolite not to return his messages, so kept up this ongoing internet correspondence.

Anyhow, long story short. I sent the info to him about this Fresno footage, as he and the band have been working on a documentary. He freakin flipped out that this old 1978 Trooper footage is on YouTube. He couldnt freakin believe it, and asked me how he would go to get all of the footage. I told him I have no freakin idea. I guess you have to make a comment or send a message through the YouTube Channel. I told him, you should be the one who knows the people to do this sort of thing. Then he said thats right, and he is going to have to aquire this footage asap. This is a BIG deal to them, as this type of live footage of them in 1978 is not at all common. They want ALL of it from their band, Trooper.

Now , the reason I type this post now, even though I have no info, and it doesnt even apply to the VH footage, is to say that these guys are a big time act who’ve sold a hell of a lot of albums in Canada, very well known, they used to headline hockey arenas, their first four albums were produced by Randy Bachman, ( BTO, The Geuss Who ), and have had numerous hit singles on the radio between 1975 -1980, and have a HUGE selling greatest hits album ” Hot Shots ” on MCA records, and still tour the country to this day. Now they are in the process of trying to obtain this complete footage from this guy on YouTube, assumedly from Fresno. Assumedly, They have the means and proper manpower required to obtain the desired footage pertaining to their project. They know people in the movie and music business. One of the other guys here in town that I grew up with went on to work in the film indrustry, and worked on the X-Files and other well known tv series, has been involved with a documentary about Sammy Hagar and his fans. Now, if this ” super 8 fims ” guy had footage of Sammy Hagar from Fresno in 1978 or ’79, they would be all over it like white on rice.

So anyways, this is my thinking, I suspect the guy with the films is possibly looking towards an offer from someone other than bootleg fans, and looking at the big picture to realize his footage could be used by the actual artists.

I suspect, his channel is a showcase for artists and companys who may contact him to purchase the materials. Look at all the wide variety on there. The Van Halen stuff just happens to be the most desired. Put yourself in his shoes, lets say you are sick and tired of evwrybody only interested in the VH footage. At some point, it is inevetable he will grow to resent the VH fans, and be pissed off that hardly anyone takes notice of all his other stuff.

He might be hoping to sell his freakin TUBES footage to a doxumentary or music tv station. Maybe he thinks Ted Nugent or Aerosmith will offer him big bucks for the footage.

Not to mention the AC/DC footage. That right there is the last show AC/ DC did in Fresno in 1979 , as they were booed off the stage the previous year in 1978 opening for Aerosmith, which he has footage from that show as well.

June 20, 2014 at 4:14 pm Quote #36640

thechefs2003
(24)

Did anybody try to get in touch with the Facebook lady who had the 8mm footage of the backyard party? I wonder if it’s footage of the band or just video of a bunch of drunk teenagers?

June 20, 2014 at 8:01 pm Quote #36648

VAiN
(2777)

thechefs2003: Did anybody try to get in touch with the Facebook lady who had the 8mm footage of the backyard party?I wonder if it’s footage of the band or just video of a bunch of drunk teenagers?

Fuck that, tell me more about Trooper!

:D

Resident dickhead. I will hurt your delicate feelings.

June 22, 2014 at 2:13 am Quote #36734

single-8
(222)

VAiN: Fuck that, tell me more about Trooper!

:D

So you wanna know about my trooper film,Eh ?..it was a sold out show(OversoldOut) that was part of Mahogany Rush’s live album tour from 1977( that show is 12 reels.)….they were very big (in Canada) but not on the same scale as say,RUSH/Pat Travers/Bryan Adams/Loverboy/Mahogany Rush.(In the USA)..I nailed all the Canadians..I even met Pat Travers the day He was Filmed Opening for RUSH at the Warnors Theatre..I was the only one who had any of his records..he signed them all…
S8S

June 22, 2014 at 3:56 pm Quote #36740

mrmojohalen
(6389)

single-8: So you wannaknow about my trooper film,Eh ?..it was a sold out show(OversoldOut) that was part of Mahogany Rush’s live album tour from 1977( that show is 12 reels.)….they were very big (in Canada) but not on the same scale as say,RUSH/Pat Travers/Bryan Adams/Loverboy/Mahogany Rush.(In the USA)..I nailed all the Canadians..I even met Pat Travers the day He was Filmed Opening for RUSH at the Warnors Theatre..I was the only one who had any of his records..he signed them all… S8S

When did you meet him ? I remember he was popular here in the midwest in the late 70′s/ early 80′s.

I only saw him once when he opened for Ted Nugent.

When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

June 22, 2014 at 4:32 pm Quote #36742

single-8
(222)

I met Pat Travers the day he played the warnors theatre which was November 15th 1978..he visited a local music store in fresno and I went to meet him as I had all of his records including the “Heat in the Street” album which had just come out..the place was full of local musicans mostly and I was the only one there that had his records,he signed them all,I didn’t bother to tell him we would be filming him later that night!..he mentioned that he was blowing Rush off the stage every night and when asked why the rest of the band wasn’t there he replied that they were too lazy to leave their hotel room(s)..it was quite amusing really..he was filmed 3 times in fresno,the other 2 were with Blue Oyster Cult and Shakin’ Street in 1979 and with Def Leppard opening in 1980…..
S8S

June 23, 2014 at 10:45 pm Quote #36763

mrmojohalen
(6389)

Do you still have your Pat Travers albums ?

June 24, 2014 at 10:53 am Quote #36799

single-8
(222)

mrmojohalen: Do you still have your Pat Travers albums ?

No, I don’t.

June 24, 2014 at 10:28 pm Quote #36820

mrmojohalen
(6389)

What size venue was Warnors Theatre ?

June 24, 2014 at 10:33 pm Quote #36821

single-8
(222)

mrmojohalen: What size venue was Warnors Theatre ?

it is a medium size theatre about 3 thousand seats

June 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm Quote #36883

mrmojohalen
(6389)

I was wondering, is your HD transfer the full show ? I know you had the complete audio & some of the video.

I think I remember seeing still photos where there was no video while the audio played to give the show a

more complete feel. Or am I wrong about this ?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.